Aug 13, 2012

A Praying Community

Together we make a huge difference each day in the lives of Austin’s street-dependent youth. Prayer serves as one of the primary vehicles to do so. From May through July, clients have shared 368 prayer requests--some large and some small. We've shared everyone one of them with prayer team members. (We need more prayer team members... sign-up.)

 

Prayer is now a constant in many of the youth’s lives. Recently, an outside observer brought this home to me. She noticed that our clients pray together whenever things happen. Death, violence, overdoses, worries, and fears are lifted up daily. In the midst of crisis, they are huddled together on their knees praying. Additionally, last night a youth said, "I need emergency prayer. I've got a job interview tomorrow that I really want." This same client once sat with me screaming at God for her situation. Yesterday, another client asked for prayers for others, a way to make legitimate money and sobriety on his birthday. I won't go into details, but his prayer is a miracle! My friend is right: God is working in this community, through prayer.

 

One final story about prayer. A recent Monday night a violent altercation occurred between two clients on the street. One was taken to jail. The other was hospitalized. We blanketed the area in prayer as soon as we heard, enlisting a dozen or more on Facebook to help as well as our Monday outreach team from ONE Chapel. The day after the incident, I returned to the location. I encountered the client--already released (significant wounds but doing well so far)! He was playing Yahtzee with seven other clients in the very location of the bloodshed only the day before. Amazing what an abundance of prayers can do!

 

Your prayers of support are such a privilege and honor to receive!


"To know, love and serve street dependent youth."
Who We Serve   What We Do   Get Involved  Support Us   News  Publications  Ministry Needs   Speaking   Service Projects   Sign-up


Become a fan on Facebook!
Mobile? No problem: m.StreetYouthMinistry.org.
I'm a notary for benefit of clients and supporters. Ph: (512) 553-3796
Volunteer or donate (tax deductible) online
Arrange a meeting with me: tungle.me/terrycole

Follow SYM: Facebook LinkedIn Blog RSS Twitter Plaxo Etsy Etsy Blogger Google Buzz Tungle.me YouTube Google Plus

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment