May 28, 2011

We welcome Hannah as our summer intern!

100_1402
SYM is proud to welcome Hannah as our new summer intern! She will be with us all summer, serving our street-dependent clients daily, learning to lead each of our events, and helping out with all that goes on! Hannah has a wonderful spirit and has been received very well by our clients. She is away this holiday weekend, and many clients were already asking "Where's Hannah? Is she going to be here?" That's a wonderful sign of how well she is fitting in! I asked Hannah to share what she would say about her first week in Austin:

How do I describe my first week here in Austin working with Terry and Street Youth Ministry? When I got my car unpack and everything settled into my brother and sister-in-law’s house a slight feeling of panic and some anxious thoughts started to fill my mind. I had just drove 15 hours in one day from a small town in Missouri to this big city of Austin, there was no way that I could turn around and go back home. This was it; I am here for the summer, no turning back. I had visited Terry and attended “Talk Time” one Monday morning that I was here for Spring Break, but I still had no idea what to expect. I decided to completely give my thoughts and fears to God and have Him use me in any and every way that He desired this summer. I had been doing homeless ministry back home in Missouri so I have some knowledge and experience but this was a completely different culture in itself. Since I have been in Austin God has already started to stretch me and change me, and it’s only been a week! I have met so many different types of people in all different stages of life. Every single day I am humbled to my core, encouraged and God continues to show me His faithfulness through this ministry. I see this summer as a true blessing to be working with Terry and the Street Dependent kids here in Austin. God has already shown me His love for these kids and the work that will be done for His kingdom through this ministry. And it’s only been a week!! I am so blessed to be here, this is exactly where I need and want to be right now in my life!

Our interns complete a 13-week curriculum and are well-prepared to build upon the experience when they leave. Our first intern, Remington, became an ordained chaplain. Hanna is exploring a call as a missionary and currently attends a Bible College. We have positions for two interns this fall that are perfect for social worker students, seminary students, recently graduates looking to beef up their resume, or simply someone who wants to learn how to lead a poverty-informed urban ministry.

Stability, sobriety, devotion to God and connection to Christian church are requirements for the internship. We help you raise support and can arrange local housing in Austin. Contact us for more information. It is our dream to train 100 young people in the next 10 years to be involved with urban ministries!

-- Terry
"To know, love and serve street dependent youth."
Who We Serve   What We Do   Get Involved  Support Us   News  Publications  Ministry Needs   Speaking   Service Projects   Sign-up


Become a fan on Facebook!
Mobile? No problem: m.StreetYouthMinistry.org.
I'm a notary for benefit of clients and supporters. Ph: (512) 553-3796
Volunteer or donate (tax deductible) online
Need an Mom/Dad/Teacher/Trad gift? Check out Martha's shops: MotsDots and NotSoDotty
Follow SYM: Facebook LinkedIn Blog RSS Twitter Plaxo Etsy Etsy Blogger Google Buzz

No comments:

Post a Comment