Mar 13, 2012

Sam's Boots

Needs and prayers answered.

I have known Sam a long time. He's well known on the Drag. When we met three or four years ago, I would rarely see Sam sober. Although detox was very painful, Sam did it. "If it wasn't for Terry, I would probably have been dead a long time ago," he shared in a recent interview. Sam is working now in exchange for a roof over his head and three "squares" a day. It's a great arrangement. It leaves him with very little free time (probably a good thing). I don't get to see him much, but that means he's not hanging out on the Drag -- definitely a good thing.

Sam's girlfriend messaged me on Facebook about possibly getting a pair of steel-toed work boots for Sam. I wrote it into our prayer book and told her I would try. I thought I had some so I went to our storage place. I looked through 8 boxes of shoes--we don't horde or waste anything, but it takes time to find the right owners for some of our donations. I didn't find any size 11 boots. I broadcast the need on FaceBook. Nothing.

A couple more weeks passed.  Sam and his girlfriend told me that they still needed the boots. I still didn't have them. A week later, I went to the storage unit (which is locked) to pick up supplies for Friday outreach. I gathered up what I needed. But as I turned I noticed a pair of work boots sitting on top of the boxes. Sure enough... size 11 and steel-toed and Doc Martens. 

I don't know how the boots got there, but I was able to deliver them to Sam and his girlfriend this past Monday at our prayer time. I told everyone the story of how I found them. Few had any doubts that it was the result of an answered prayer.

Share your stories of answered prayers.

"To know, love and serve street dependent youth."
Who We Serve   What We Do   Get Involved  Support Us   News  Publications  Ministry Needs   Speaking   Service Projects   Sign-up


Become a fan on Facebook!
Mobile? No problem: m.StreetYouthMinistry.org.
I'm a notary for benefit of clients and supporters. Ph: (512) 553-3796
Volunteer or donate (tax deductible) online
Arrange a meeting with me: tungle.me/terrycole

Follow SYM: Facebook LinkedIn Blog RSS Twitter Plaxo Etsy Etsy Blogger Google Buzz Tungle.me YouTube Google Plus

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment