Mar 7, 2012

A Volunteer's Experience

Street Youth take it one day at a time.

 

I have been volunteering with SYM for about a year and a half now, but last Friday was especially important as it took me to yet a deeper understanding of what life is like living on the street . In one square block I witnessed a dependent youth’s backpack being stolen (by someone, I would venture to guess, that was not street dependent).  Everything he owned was probably in that pack. I witnessed ambulances and police responding to a street fight involving two of our clients.

 

I participated in a youth leadership project which involved dancing in the “market” on the Drag. In the end, this leadership group danced with SYM volunteers AND street dependent youth. One street youth said “I usually don’t get involved in this type of stuff, but it is important to these kids so I will do it. This is what right now.” WOW. I realized that life on the street is a battle everyday and yet these street dependent youth still give of themselves to those that may not understand them. It is these times , good and bad, that I experience God. Bless these kids and their struggle to make it through just one day at a time.

Would you like to join our volunteers?  Volunteer opportunities at SYM

 

"To know, love and serve street dependent youth."
Who We Serve   What We Do   Get Involved  Support Us   News  Publications  Ministry Needs   Speaking   Service Projects   Sign-up


Become a fan on Facebook!
Mobile? No problem: m.StreetYouthMinistry.org.
I'm a notary for benefit of clients and supporters. Ph: (512) 553-3796
Volunteer or donate (tax deductible) online
Arrange a meeting with me: tungle.me/terrycole

Follow SYM: Facebook LinkedIn Blog RSS Twitter Plaxo Etsy Etsy Blogger Google Buzz Tungle.me YouTube Google Plus

 

No comments:

Post a Comment