This made me think of SYM's weekly prayer time. We ask clients, as one step in our prayer, to complete the sentence,
"I'm thankful for ________________."
I asked my group of guys (in my personal small group), what is the most popular response?
- It could be to get a beer or a joint.
- It could be to have someone be nice to me today or kick me down $10.
- Or, it might be to get a house or a car.
But do you know what the most popular response is?
- "I'm thankful to be alive."
- "I'm thankful for another day of life."
- "I'm thankful I woke up this morning."
Gives one a moment to pause for sure.
Street youth can teach us a lot if we let them.