Jul 13, 2014

Terry Cole on Trust

Part of An Interview by Lael Weatherby, March 15, 2014

Q: How do you earn the trust of all of the new Street Youth you meet every year?

A: Trust is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. Trust isn't earned-it's given. I understand what people say when they say trust is earned. But that’s not my experience of trust. 

Every week, I meet some people that I've never met before. And frequently, within five minutes, we're talking about God, we're talking about their drug addiction, we're talking about their needs, we're talking about very sensitive subjects, about their family life or their emotional health or whatever, in five minutes. There’s no way I earned their trust. They gave it to me. And I believe the reason they give me trust is they see me with people they trust. 

Three guys who had never met me before, who talked about all of those things, were introduced by somebody they knew who has known me a long time. Then they give me their trust. And they give it to you because you've proven that you don’t waste it.

http://www.firsthandhistory.net/index.html?view=interview&interview_id=860


No comments:

Post a Comment