Dec 6, 2022

"I've found my life again!"

 

"I've found my life again!"
A Christmas story
of setbacks and
of triumph! 

   Jackson was motivated, and he was only 18. “Do you know what motivates me, Mr. Terry?” he declared. “It’s my baby son!”
   COVID-related closures were in full force. He hadn’t been sober, wasn’t even as he spoke, but he had just gotten an ID card. As I did when I met each of our 577 clients last year, I wondered how things were going to go for him.
   Fast-forward a few months and, unfortunately, any progress Jackson made had vanished inside a bottle of alcohol. He had adopted two other young street youth as brothers, and they too had absorbed severe setbacks.
  “Everyone in my life is a gang member, drug addict, homeless or in prison, Mr. Terry,” he told me when next we met. “The only family member who wants good for me is my grandmother. But I’m still gonna do it. I’m gonna leave all that behind.”
   Jackson returned this fall. He sat in peer support group, awaiting his turn to share. When it came, he exclaimed loudly and joyfully, “I’ve found my life again! I’ve found my joy again! I dance and sing in my own house! I buy my own groceries! I visit and support my son!”
   From a nearby chair, another group member shared similar experiences and provided encouragement to all. Two others – a couple – listened quietly, taking it all in. They had just begun the same journey and were yet to taste success.
  It’s really a gift to walk beside these awesome people as they find themselves. Sometimes it’s self-discovery. Often, it coincides with their discovering the Creator. It’s always beautiful to behold!
   We could not sustain this ministry of guidance, rebirth and growth without the faithful Creator and Author whom we celebrate this season. We also wouldn’t dare attempt this ministry without you! Merry Christmas and thank you!
   Blessings to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment