Jul 19, 2011

The Day to Day Difficulty of Doing the Right Thing

For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
            -- Romans 7:15-17
 

Earlier this month I was talking with a client who was expressing just this. It was such a humbling conversation for the both of us. I don’t know how many times that I have caught myself in doing the very things that I hate and I do not even understand why I continue to do them. And the things that I would like to be doing, I’m NOT doing! This was exactly how Paul was feeling when he wrote this, and he makes it so applicable for today. The client that I spoke with was so heavy burden in these thoughts and Paul wrote them thousands of years ago. This client and I continued to talk and our conversation grew more and more into a self-evaluation and looking to the scriptures. We began to talk about how it can be so hard to not only know the Truth, but also be living it out in our actions everyday.

“But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.”  
                  -- James 1:22 


When our conversation ended it made me continue to think about the other street kids that may be feeling like this but also myself.  Over these past few months God has opened my mind in so many ways. And the people that we serve have also taught me so much. I am so blessed to be apart of Street Youth Ministry! 

-- Hannah

"To know, love and serve street dependent youth."
Who We Serve   What We Do   Get Involved  Support Us   News  Publications  Ministry Needs   Speaking   Service Projects   Sign-up


Become a fan on Facebook!
Mobile? No problem: m.StreetYouthMinistry.org.
I'm a notary for benefit of clients and supporters. Ph: (512) 553-3796
Volunteer or donate (tax deductible) online
Arrange a meeting with me: tungle.me/terry.cole

Follow SYM: Facebook LinkedIn Blog RSS Twitter Plaxo Etsy Etsy Blogger Google Buzz Tungle.me YouTube Google Plus

1 comment:

  1. Powerful! So very true for each of us, I am thinking.

    ReplyDelete