Feb 10, 2012

A Dream and Challenge

"Why won't someone help me now?"

At least twice a month, I have a young client, usually somewhere between 23 and 28, come up to me and say, cry or scream: "I've had it. I'm at the end of my rope. Can you get me into rehab? I want to go TODAY!" After 3 years of doing this, I have never seen someone get into rehab the same day. I promise to make some phone calls and ask to meet them the next day. The phone calls typically means leaving messages. It means eventually learning after many phone calls that a rehab "bed" won't be open for several weeks. I meet with the client and explain to them. And their response is usually, "I can't wait that long. I might as well just go overdose and die. Or maybe I should go to another city. Why won't someone help me now?" 

 

It's a reasonable question. There are logical answers, but this client population doesn't have the patience and even sometimes the planning skills to work with a three week window. 

 

It is my dream to find a way to have a bed available at within 24 hours of a client seeking help. No they don't have insurance. Yes they need detoxification and medical check-up. No they probably don't have ID. And yes, they have all sorts of potential co-existing issues. If not a bed, then a temporary safe house where they can stay until the recovery bed becomes available. These are missed opportunities to enable someone to turn their life around. It's missed opportunities to allow a person to find true meaning and significance in recovery. It's a dream I know. And I can think of all the practical obstacles to achieving the dream. I pray it becomes a reality in Austin somehow nevertheless.

Do you have any ideas?  Do you think it is a dream we can make come true in the future?  Leave us a comment.

 

"To know, love and serve street dependent youth."
Who We Serve   What We Do   Get Involved  Support Us   News  Publications  Ministry Needs   Speaking   Service Projects   Sign-up


Become a fan on Facebook!
Mobile? No problem: m.StreetYouthMinistry.org.
I'm a notary for benefit of clients and supporters. Ph: (512) 553-3796
Volunteer or donate (tax deductible) online
Arrange a meeting with me: tungle.me/terrycole

Follow SYM: Facebook LinkedIn Blog RSS Twitter Plaxo Etsy Etsy Blogger Google Buzz Tungle.me YouTube Google Plus

 

No comments:

Post a Comment