Apr 22, 2012

Reactions to Going to Church

"I haven't been to church since I was five."

 

During Holy Week, I rent a bus and take street youth clients to a church that has a noonday meditation followed by a fellowship lunch. On the way back, I asked the street youth to tell me about their experience. Here are some of there answers to ponder:

  • I really liked that "only one person looked at me like I was a piece of sh**." That means everyone else looked at me like I was a human being!
  • I am surprised that I went to church. I am 23 years old and I haven't been to church since I was five. I didn't melt. The church didn't burn. And the Bibles didn't burst into flames. Who knew?
  • So many people came and thanked me for coming. I am really puzzled by that. [We talked about that some more as a group. The group decided it could be one of two things. First, it might be because the people are so surprised to see such broken, poor and yucky people coming to church. Second, it might be that the people truly sense that they are missing something or some representation from people that the street youth satisfy.]
  • I liked the music. I didn't' think I would. [This was very traditional Hymns... high churchy.]
  • I liked the message. I liked that she talked about real people... people who get SSI, food stamps, and other stuff. It made me feel a part of it.
  • I loved the food. It's so nice to have regular food that regular people eat. Not homeless food. And not just for us. It's their regular meal.
  • I liked the old people. It's funny, but I respect them and they help me be a better person when I'm around them. If I were around people my age, we'd probably be talking about pot or the next party. But old people have so much wisdom and experience. I just want to listen to them.

If you would like to be involved in our ministry, please contact me:  terry@StreetYouthMinistry.org

"To know, love and serve street dependent youth."
Who We Serve   What We Do   Get Involved  Support Us   News  Publications  Ministry Needs   Speaking   Service Projects   Sign-up


Become a fan on Facebook!
Mobile? No problem: m.StreetYouthMinistry.org.
I'm a notary for benefit of clients and supporters. Ph: (512) 553-3796
Volunteer or donate (tax deductible) online
Arrange a meeting with me: tungle.me/terrycole

Follow SYM: Facebook LinkedIn Blog RSS Twitter Plaxo Etsy Etsy Blogger Google Buzz Tungle.me YouTube Google Plus

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment