Sep 27, 2012

Making Birthday Sundaes

Sundaes_copy

For many years, I have been blessed with a birthday tradition. It began about 7 years ago on my birthday. I decided to only do things I enjoy on my birthday and to try to celebrate my birth week. One of the things that I get to do during my birth week is make Ice Cream Sundaes for street youth. It's a really fun tradition. And they have signed tee-shirts for me. I have one for each year that goes back all those years. There are names on the shirt that have recovered. There are a few names on the shirt that have passed away. And there are a lot of names from people I probably won't ever see again. But I got to make them a Sundae on my birthday and to serve them, love them, and enjoy getting to know who they are.

 

The story behind the making Sundae's is this. I found that street youth don't celebrate their birthday in healthy ways. So I decided to share my birthday with them. I serve them by making Sundae's individually, one at a time, and with whatever mixed up pile of toppings, whip cream, and cherries they like. I remind them and myself: "I may not be able to fix anything. I probably can't really fix anything. But I CAN fix YOU a Sundae anyway you like it today! Happy My Birthday!"

 

"To know, love and serve street dependent youth."
Who We Serve   What We Do   Get Involved  Support Us   News  Publications  Ministry Needs   Speaking   Service Projects   Sign-up


Become a fan on Facebook!
Mobile? No problem: m.StreetYouthMinistry.org.
I'm a notary for benefit of clients and supporters. Ph: (512) 553-3796
Volunteer or donate (tax deductible) online
Arrange a meeting with me: tungle.me/terrycole

Follow SYM: Facebook LinkedIn Blog RSS Twitter Plaxo Etsy Etsy Blogger Google Buzz Tungle.me YouTube Google Plus

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment