Jul 30, 2013

What triggered such a big change from electrical engineering to humanitarian work?


I was at a dinner party the other day. The hostess asked me to explain what I did at Street Youth Ministry. [We don't hijack dinner parties but we are please to share when supporters ask!] The next day, I got an email from one of the guests. He asked, "If I may ask, what triggered such a big change from electrical engineering to humanitarian work?"

It's a long story, but the short answer is that this culture of "throwaway" youth broke my heart when I began volunteering by accident to serve them a meal once a month in 2003. As I learned more about them over time by listening and observing, I was so amazed by their strength and resilience to adversity. As I listened to them even more, I realized they were very spiritual as a whole, and they were hungry to hear God's story but really had significant issues with "church" and "Christians." One thing led to another, and here I am serving them daily to help them achieve for themselves stability, sobriety, reconnection to God and a Christian community. Our motto reflect my own journey with the street youth: to know, love and serve street-dependent young people so that some may come to know Christ.

Check out all the programs we offer and other information about SYM.

"To know, love and serve street dependent youth."
Who We Serve   What We Do   Get Involved  Support Us   News  Publications  Ministry Needs   Speaking   Service Projects   Sign-up

Become a fan on Facebook!Mobile? No problem: m.StreetYouthMinistry.org.
I'm a notary for benefit of clients and supporters. Ph: (512) 553-3796
Volunteer or donate (tax deductible) online
Arrange a meeting with me: tungle.me/terrycole
Follow SYM: Facebook LinkedIn Blog RSS Twitter Plaxo Etsy Etsy Blogger Google Buzz Tungle.me YouTube Google Plus

1 comment:

  1. I am sure many who have known you as an engineer and programmer have wanted to know the answer to this question. I also imagine you could write pages more to answer the question more fully? However, it is enough to know that you were indeed called to be one of God's servant's to the homeless youth on Austin's drag!

    ReplyDelete