Nov 25, 2012

Reaction to Volunteering First Time

I recently joined SYM on a mini-mission trip on a Monday or Friday. When we were done with the mini-mission trip, you asked us our impressions, and something difficult, something amazing, etc. And in true East Coast WASP fashion, I put a happy face on the whole experience - all sunlight and rainbows - and went about my way.

 

Well, I'd like to end the Waspy habbit and tell you what I actually experienced. I felt utterly inadequate, ignorant, and frivolous. How did these people - kids - get to where they are? What can I possibly do or say that makes an ounce of a difference?

 

I want to tell every one of them about Christ and how much they're loved but I don't even know how to begin. And yet I woke up this morning wondering how they were doing. Are they safe? Did they sleep?

 

None the less, I feel strongly pulled towards SYM and doing this again and again. I have no words, no reasons why. But I have come to understand that this strong of pull is the act of God in my life. So I follow.

 

I hope what I have is enough, and I welcome any advice or direction. I'm signed up for both Monday morning and Friday afternoon. I look forward to being there.

 

God bless,

A Volunteer

 

Come and join us.  Lots of opportunities.

 

"To know, love and serve street dependent youth."
Who We Serve   What We Do   Get Involved  Support Us   News  Publications  Ministry Needs   Speaking   Service Projects   Sign-up


Become a fan on Facebook!
Mobile? No problem: m.StreetYouthMinistry.org.
I'm a notary for benefit of clients and supporters. Ph: (512) 553-3796
Volunteer or donate (tax deductible) online
Arrange a meeting with me: tungle.me/terrycole

Follow SYM: Facebook LinkedIn Blog RSS Twitter Plaxo Etsy Etsy Blogger Google Buzz Tungle.me YouTube Google Plus

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment