Jan 19, 2014

A Volunteer Has a Wow Moment!

This message comes from a volunteer at All Saints' Episcopal Church who was part of the team preparing for our Christmas Party on Dec 20, 2013. 

Jill wrote:
"As you know, we have been reading Anne Lamott's wonderful book, Help Thanks Wow, Three Essential Prayers.  I know we all have experienced these times and prayers in our lives.  But I just had to share a true WOW moment I recently had at HEB.  
I was in HEB standing in line to check out.  The lady in front of me had her cart filled with 12 - 1 gallon jugs of apple cider.  I couldn't stand it - I had to ask her what she was going to do with all that apple cider.  She said that it only comes out this time of year so she buys 12 gallons so she can drink one per month - that way it lasts her a long time.  
I said "what if you drink more than one gallon in a month?"  She said she would just be skimpy the next month - kinda like rationing. We both laughed.  She said so many people in the store had said "Well, you're having a party!"  She told me she doesn't have parties much anymore.  
As we talked, I just mentioned that we were having a party a week from Friday for 65+ kids.  She was amazed and asked me questions all about the kids  There was true amazement on her face when I told her they were all homeless.  But where do they stay, she asked.  I told her, on the streets.  
Well, she started checking out. When she had paid and had moved her cart, she came back and said, "God bless you and since I bought all of this for myself, may I give you a donation for the kids."
I said that it wasn't necessary but she insisted and discretely palmed off a wadded up bill into my hand.  I didn't look at it and just put it wadded up in the top of my purse.
When I got to my car, still with a grateful smile on my face, I looked at the bill and it was a 50 dollar bill!  
I said, "WOW, THANKS.  God, you are so good!"  I still have a that grin on my face. What grateful joy!"


No comments:

Post a Comment